Undying King is a Boss in Remnant: From the Ashes.
Undying King Location
- Location: Rhom, Undying Throne. You can find the entrance behind the Monolith near the entrance to Rhom (there is a checkpoint that you can teleport to). In order to enter, you'll need the Howling Key that can be obtained by defeating either Claviger or The Harrow.
- Encountering the boss is not optional, but fighting him is. The player may choose to comply with the Undying King's request and bring him the Guardian's Heart from Corsus, or instead antagonize the Undying King and fight him. If the player agrees to bring him the Guardian's Heart, he will then open the portal to Corsus.
- If you give him the Guardian's Heart he will give you Labyrinth Key and Riven.
- The player may agree with the Undying King first, and betray him later, only gaining a slightly quicker access to Corsus.
- Note: Obtaining the Labyrinth Key from the Undying King by killing him allows the player to bypass Corsus altogether if the player so chooses.
- Note: The Iskal Queen in Corsus also desires the Guardian's Heart, and the player cannot give the item to both NPCs.
Undying King Rewards
- The Undying Heart
- Kingslayer Trait
- Labyrinth Key
- Gravedigger Emote
- Glowing Fragments:
- Hard (x5)
- Nightmare (x7)
- Apocalypse (x9)
- 1x Simulacrum:
- Nightmare (Rare)
- Apocalypse (Uncommon)
Undying King Strategies
Be warned: this boss has a minimum Gear Score of 13. Facing him on your first playthrough will be challenging.
The boss fight has three phases:
The Boss will remain with its hands on the back. It can cast two type of spells:
- Spawn ads that will come out of the coffins located in the room. When this happens try to quickly dispatch them and then keep firing at Undying King head to deal extra damage.
- Spawns two flying orbs that remain stationary and fire projectiles at your location. Try to destroy them as soon as they appear.
In this stage of the fight, the Undying King won't deal direct damage to you and will try to evade your shots. Try to aim for his head as it deals extra damage. Respond to its spells dispatching the ads as soon as you can. You can stay near him, and he won't attack you but run away as soon as he spawns his weapons.
After a while he will invoke his melee weapons and phase 2 will begin
When he invokes the melee weapons, he will start following you around the room. He moves very slow, so try to run far away from him and dispatch any remaining adds and fire to its head. He can leap in your direction and follow up with a melee combo, when this happens, leap forward and run in the opposite direction. He deals very high damage and can kill you in one full combo, but has a long delay between each combo. Avoid focusing him until you've cleared up most of the ads from phase 1.
After a while he will cancel the melee weapons and go back to phase 1.
Once he is at around half health he will transition to phase 3.
In this phase the Undying King will spawn many adds and ignore you while walking to the altar. Once in the altar, he will start meditating which will restore his health while remaining immobile. Make sure to first deal with all the ads. Then use the opportunity to replenish your own health and stock on ammunition. Once you are done, get close to him and aim for the head to deal as much damage as you can. Continuous area of effect damage such as Spore Shot works well here since you can funnel all ads through the stairs to the altar. You will eventually break his meditation and phase 1 will restart.
After you deplete his HP for the first time, he will revive with a portion of health. Kill him again and the boss fight will be complete.
While playing in Coop, you can split the roles focusing one party on the ads while the other deals with the boss.
With enough damage Phase 3 can be brute-forced through to kill the boss before he reaches the altar to regenerate (tested on Nightmare difficulty, solo).
Attacks & Counters
|Phase 1 (Cast Magic and Adds)
|Spawn Ads: It will spawn enemies from the coffins that will fire at you||Try to run to the coffins and dispatch them as quick as you can|
|Summon Orbs: Summon two orbs that remain stationary and have a medium rate of fire and high damage||Try to dispatch them as soon as they come out. He can spawn more orbs, and they will stack, try not to become overrun.|
|Phase 2 (Invoke Melee Weapons)
|Leap Attack: He will leap in your direction striking with its weapon||Wait until he is near you and then dodge forward. You will find yourself behind him. Just keep running and get as far away as you can, then fire from a safe distance.|
|Three Hit Combo: He can perform a powerful melee combo that deals very high damage and has long reach||There is no easy way to avoid the combo, try to dodge backwards and then run as far away as you can.|
|Phase 3 (Cast adds and regenerates)
|Spawn ads: Enemies will start swarming from the walls, and he will walk to the altar to heal.||Ignore the Undying King and focus on the ads. Once you are done, stock up on ammunition and health and fire at the Undying King head until you break his meditation.|
|Meditate: He will walk to the altar and remain stationary while he heals.||He remains immobile and won't attack you while meditating. Use this opportunity to stock up on ammunition and restore your health. Once you are ready, aim for the head and deal as much damage as you can until the meditation is broken. Then the fight will resume at Phase 1|
Undying King Lore
- The Undying King is a Basha from Rhom and is part of the Basha priesthood. He is the spiritual leader of Rhom and prophet of the guardian (the Nui). He helped solve disputes between the nation states and was able to forge a truce between them ushering in an age of peace and prosperity but was cut short with the Root invasion.
The Root invasion was brutal and lasted 50 years. Rhom couldn’t defend itself from them, and the Undying King was forced into sacrificing his civilization by ordering the activation of a doomsday device that, while decimated the Root, left Rhom devastated. The threat of the Root, though, still looms.
- Upon meeting the player the Undying King will make a deal. He will grant the player with the Labyrinth Key if the player agrees to bring the Corsus guardian's heart. He will explain that Rhom is healing, and this will attract the Root again. In order to keep the Root from invading, he needs the guardian heart to restore Rhom's guardian so that it can protect Rhom. The Undying King is aware of the events taking place on Corsus and warns the player about it. Upon getting the heart, he will present it to Rhom's dying guardian (pool) to restore it.
- Undying King traveled to the other worlds through the labyrinth portal.
The Akari mentioned that he was the only one using the portals.
- The Undying King warns the player about the Iskal and its corruption before opening the portal, and his choosing of Corsus was not at random since he was aware of what the Iskal were doing to Corsus as well as their intention to kill the Guardian of Corsus.
- The rumor the Houndmaster heard about the Undying King grinding bodies into powder to maintain his immortality is false. His source of immortality is Rhom's guardian (pool).
- The statues of the Undying King
- The Undying King may be limiting how many people are living on Rhom because, as he says, the world is healing and the Root will return so by keeping the population low he is also trying to keep the Root from noticing them until their guardian recovers.
Lore confirmed by the developers:
- The pool is Rhom's guardian.
- Undying King is restoring the guardian.
- Rhom's guardian is not dead, rather it is dying, which is why the Undying King was able to start the restoration.
- The Undying King is from Rhom and a prophet of the guardian.
- Nui means speaker of the guardian.
- The guardian is what made the Undying King immortal.
- Undying King opened a portal for the Root to destroy them and protect Rhom.
Lore notes, information on folklore, etc go here
Lore theories should be clearly marked as such.
Undying King Notes & Trivia
Voice Actor: Dave B. Mitchell
Homages, and other trivia go here.
Undying King Image Gallery
[images go here]