The Root Mother Information
The Root Mother is actually not a boss that you fight, rather she is an NPC that you defend for a set amount of time. After progressing enough through the Earth Realm while in Campaign Mode (Root Mother does not appear in Adventure Mode) you will come across a church with a white fog wall, and a Crystal to rest at. Upon entering, she gives dialogue options, and ultimately, you must defend her from a Root Ambush. Upon victory, she will move to Ward 13 where she is used for gaining additional heals, assuming you have the materials.
The Root Mother Location
The Root Mother Rewards
The Root Mother Strategies
After you talk to The Root Mother, an event will begin where you have to defend her from The Root for two minutes. Devils will start coming out of the windows. If you kill them all, more will spawn. However you can leave one alive and kite it around the room with relative ease.
After around 30-40 seconds, 1-2 Slayers will spawn and immediately target the Root Mother. Kill them ASAP. There should be roughly 1 minute left on the clock at this stage.
Enemies will begin to spawn with increasing regularity. One option is to use Rattle Weed to draw enemies' attention away from the Root Mother, allowing you to focus on high priority targets such as additional Slayers, or the Hulk who will appear in the final 45 seconds. The Hulk's attention can also be gained with sufficient damage. Hunter's Mark is another solid choice for spotting swarming targets ahead of time and moving to address them, providing additional crit chance as well.
The Root Mother need only survive until the countdown ends, whether she has full health or 5% is irrelevant, so deal with the Hulk and Slayers first as their damage output is far greater than one solitary devil. Allowing multiple devils to swarm her though, is also ill-advised.
Given the small size of the area, a short-range, high-damage weapon such as the shotgun is well suited for this fight. Modded with Hot Shot, the player will have decent single target damage when confronting Slayers and Hulks.
Attacks & Counters
|Devil||Try to dispatch them as soon as they appear. They can provide you with ammunition. However consider sparing one and kiting it to prevent further spawns.|
|Slayer||Shoot them in the head as soon as they appear, when they teleport, fire at them quickly so they don't have time to attack.|
|Hulk||Fire at its head. If it charges at you, dodge to either side and keep firing until its dead.|
The Root Mother Lore
- The Root Mother was once human but made the decision to sacrifice herself in an attempt to interface with the Root hive mind and hinder it from the inside, going to the old church and physically binding herself to the Root there, transforming her into a human-root hybrid. Eventually the player frees her from her prison, and she returns to Ward 13 to aid them.
- Root Mother name is Evelyn Ceder.
- She is Commander Ford’s grandmother.
- Ford is her husband.
- The world stone is what made Ford immortal. He had to find the Root Mother to become mortal again.
- A journal of hers can be found in the room the player awakens in upon entering Ward 13, with the writings detailing earlier days of the war, the start of her dreams, and her romance with Ford. A second journal can be found in a room in the church after defending the Root Mother, detailing more dreams, connections to the Root, and events leading to her becoming the Root Mother.
Lore notes, information on folklore, etc go here
Lore theories should be clearly marked as such.
The Root Mother Notes & Trivia
Voice Actor, homages, and other trivia go here.
The Root Mother Image Gallery
[images go here]